View Single Post

Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM

Liked 44 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganScott View Post
Don't do it!

That $500 will be just the start. I started back in 1972 when I bought a Lee Loader for a 30 Carbine to save money. Back then I shot a couple of boxes a year.

In 1974, I bought a single stage Rockchucker. Then my shooting was up to maybe 100-200 rds a year.

Today, I have a whole room dedicated to reloading. I shoot a couple of thousand rounds during a slow year. There is several thousand dollars worth of equipment in that room.

In 1976, I married a women that figures a day at the range beats a day shopping anytime. She shoots at least as much as I do. In the past five years, she has bought more guns than I have. My daughters bring their families home to visit and expect to go to the gun club and shoot dads ammunition and guns. I bought a NRA Life Membership for my grandson when he was born.

I hate to think what that first round or .30 Carbine has cost me.
Good perspective... Here's the deal though. We all know how difficult 9mm is to find currently, and I purposefully bought a new 9mm to go with my others to "keep the ammo supply simple." Backfire! Last year I went to the range about every other week, nearly 250 rounds per month and loved it. Now my wife is getting into shooting more and soon wants her own handgun.

At $20 a box, we can afford to enjoy it. Let alone if we find ammo. I bought a Shield less than a month ago and have only put about 60 rds though it.

I wish I could find someone who reloads and would sell me ammo at a reasonable price rather than sinking $500 bucks into it before I even make one round but that is easier said than done.