View Single Post

Old 04-03-2013, 06:07 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,722 Times in 2,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSkip4212 View Post
I first joined the forum some time ago, but posted only once. I fear I'm too uninformed to make any intelligent commentary, so I've sort of "lurked" in the background, occasionally reading posts that I found interesting, but never having the nerve to ask a question. However, I have a 3rd Model Hand Ejector, Model of 1926, that according to the S&W historian was sold in a lot to Wolf and Klar in 1930. It's engraved (and the real reason I got my nerve up was that I found a picture of similar engraving on a thread about that particular model), nickel plated, but instead of the usual after-market grips, it has bone grips. The gun found its way to Hinton, Oklahoma somehow, and my Grandpa owned it for some years. He told the story (and he told LOTS of stories) that Oklahoma Highway Patrol trooper, Dan Combs, occasionally borrowed the gun for exhibitions and lectures, and always returned it cleaned and oiled with two boxes of hand-load wadcutters.
OK, there it is. Now, what I'd really like to know is how to post pictures to this forum. I can't find any instructions on the site, so someone please help me, and I'll show you what this old gun looks like. The finish isn't pristine, but it's still a good shooter, very solid and as accurate as its operator. (with tri-focal lenses, that is to say, nominal) Help, please.
ProfSkip4212 (retired college professor, decidedly out of step with most of that ilk)
Two ways. Both assume that you have the photos you want to upload stored on your computer.

(1) Use the direct upload to the forum approach. On the page where you compose a post, look down below the composition box for a button that says "Manage Attachments." Click on that. Then you get to pick the photo files on your computer that you want to upload. When they are specified, go back and make sure you have said everything in the compositoin box that you want to, and then click "Submit Reply." The photos will come along with your post, and will appear in your post as thumbnails. You need to make sure that the photos on your computer do not exceed the forum filesize limit. If they do, they won't be uploaded. In general, if your photos are formatted not to exceed 1000x800 pixels, they should upload just fine.

(2) Use the Internet photo hosting service approach. Sign up for a photo hosting account with a service like Photobucket. Upload your photos there. Then when you compose a post to this forum, just insert a link to the specific images you want to display from your Photobucket library. You don't have to worry about filesize limits this way, and the photos will appear embedded in your post instead of attached as thumbnails.

The only thing to look out for is that each link needs to be preceded and followed by the [IMG] and [/IMG] tags. This happens automatically if you click on the "IMG Code" version of the link from the several options on the right side of the page.

Other image hosting companies exist, and they will operate in ways similar to Photobucket, but probably not identically.