Thread: lock issue
View Single Post

Old 04-06-2013, 02:58 PM

Liked 3,352 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default lock issue

New guy with a question that I could not completely answer going through the Search function:

I purchased a NIB 642 that was supposed to be non-locking at a great price. Dealer sent me a locking model instead. Not having been in the revolver game for quite some time, I just accepted the gun and took it to the range. Since they're hard to find in the current market, I figured I could live with the lock.

I've put 100 rounds through the little gun and love it; however, I've run across mention of lock failures that could cause the gun to become inoperable. Is that really the case? Are there documented cases of this actually happening?

I find it difficult to believe that S&W or any other gun manufacturer would allow a defective lock system to cause them a huge liability issue that would become a class action civil suit. More to the point: I need to have confidence that my gun isn't going to become a dead paperweight when I need it most.

I've also read it's pretty simple to remove the internal lock mechanism. In doing so, does it leave a gaping hole for dirt, moisture, and lint to collect inside? I'm not sure what to believe, and I need to lean on your experience. Thanks.