View Single Post

Old 04-08-2013, 10:37 AM

Liked 2,204 Times in 204 Posts
Default Jim Cirillo's Service Revolver, the Model 10.

Sometimes in the late 1980's I read an article by Massad Ayoob on the Military & Police Revolver of S&W. In this magazine article, Mr. Ayoob listed some of the different agencies that issued the Model 10, to include specific individuals who carried the same as part of their day-to-day job (cop). One of these individuals was Jim Cirillo, of whom Massad had a close friendship with. I believe most everyone knows or has heard/read about this "legend" of a man and cop! His exploits on the Stakeout Squad of the NYPD in the late 60's is well known and recorded. In this article there were several photos of different types of Model 10's with different barrel lengths and cops holding/posing with their respective Model 10. In one photo of a well-worn Model 10 with a 4-inch Heavy Barrel, Ayoob identified this as the Cirillo Model 10. This Model 10 had the wood service grip panels with grooves cut into the wood for the fingers to get a good hold/grip. Also in the pic was the S&W Target Hammer and that puzzled me because of the double-action-only philosophy of Cirillo, himself. That Target Hammer feature on his 10 would indicate the possibility of "precise" single-action fire by Officer Cirillo, under the right conditions. I don't know how many people have seen, through a picture, Cirillo's Heavy Barrel Model 10, but it has the Target Hammer and that would not be very user-friendly in double-action-only fire! I read the book, Tales of the Stakeout Squad, several times. There is a picture of Cirillo on the front cover (paperback) holding a Model 10, similar to his own back in his cop days. That 10 does not have a Target Hammer and it is in way to good of condition to be the same one I saw in the old Ayoob article mentioned earlier. I believe Cirillo was just posing with that 10 for the photo. The 10, from his NYPD times was sporting a lot of cop-wear-and-tear and had the tell-tale Target Hammer, well known to Model 10 fans. I don't know if how many forum members may have saw the pic of the original Cirillo Model 10 or may have actually seen it! Whatever the case, what was the story of the Target Hammer on his sixgun? He (Cirillo) may have had the need to deviate from his DAO style, right moment, right time, and right situation for a single "precise" shot! My take on the modification (Target Hammer) of his 10. Please correct me if you know me to be in error here on this great gunfighter legend, Jim Cirillo!
David
The Following 3 Users Like Post: