View Single Post

Old 04-09-2013, 04:12 PM

Liked 3,663 Times in 618 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt 127 View Post
I also seem to recall that Jim Cirillos idea of reloading a revolver was to fire a gun until it was empty and then open the gun hand to grab another loaded gun. Gravity, being what it was, would allow the empty, and now useless gun, to fall out of the way.

Having seen my share of Model 10's that hit the ground, they have an uncanny ability to land on the hammer spur, breaking it off or, bending it down and rendering the gun useless. Could the heavier hammer be a little more durable? Did he have so many hammers replaced, they just fitted whatever was in the parts bin at the time? That would also be wierd as I doubt the armorers at NYPD would have ANY target hammers in stock.

Who knows. I always wondered about the dropping an empty gun tale though.
You'd be surprised by what parts are in an armory of almost 40,000 cops. Something to remember is that in those days, pistol team and personal revolvers were usually worked on by dept armorers (for free). Also, I'm willing to bet that any confiscated S&W or Colt (or any other gun that was "needed") would have ended up at Rodman's Neck for parts, or testing. My dept had literally drawers full of parts for Colts, S&Ws, 1911s, BHPs, etc.
Bob
The Following 2 Users Like Post: