View Single Post

Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM

Liked 29,628 Times in 14,288 Posts

Even though this is a resurrection of an old thread, I'll provide a little technical information on the .35 S&W cartridge. As earlier noted, it used a partially jacketed bullet with a lead base to engage the rifling. Apparently at that time, someone at S&W was averse to FMJ bullets because of suspected bore wear. The bullet diameter is 0.309", the same as the .32 ACP. The nominal case length and diameter are, respectively 0.670" and 0.346" as compared to 0.680" and 0.336" for the .32 ACP. Ballistically, they are very close. Due to the very minor dimensional differences, if the .32 ACP cartridge chambers, it should be fine to shoot in the .35 S&W.

Should one desire to actually make .35 S&W brass, it can be done by turning the rim of a .32-20 case down, cutting an extractor groove, and cutting and trimming to length. Why anyone would go to tht much trouble when a .32 ACP case would work just as well, I cannot imagine.

I had never heard the story about the .35 S&W bullet having the extruding lubricant, and frankly do not believe that story at all without any further evidence in support of it. To my knowledge, that type of extruding lubricant bullet design was used only to a very limited extent for certain target bullets in a few of the old black powder cartridges, and never in smokeless loads of any kind.

Pipewrench, I may be interested in your .35, PM me if you want to discuss.