View Single Post

Old 04-11-2013, 08:03 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,938 Times in 1,545 Posts
Default Yes, I'm missing one of those....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCWilson View Post
I had completely forgotten about this thread, and I am glad it came back so I could study SmithNut's first-rate K-38 photos all over again.

Perhaps the only distinctive type of K-38 not already represented in this thread is the very early type with the large ejector rod knob. These guns were barely on collectors' radar screens at the time this thread was first live, but in the last couple of years a few have been posted and discussed here. I have K4709, which was featured in a recent thread about the LERK Masterpiece models. A pic:

I believe no more than 350 K-38s were produced with the large ejector rod knob; only five have been reported on this forum, though members may own a few more that have not been discussed. All others almost certainly carry the knobless rods seen in the other photos in this thread.
David,
That is a fantastic example of a very scarce variation. I'd love to add a large ejector rod model to my fledgling collection. As well, I'd also like to add a Mexican Model, it's part of the history of this fine S&W product, IMO.
My collection of K38 Masterpieces was assembled, primarily, from the NW, gun-shops, pawn shops and of course trades with other local collectors. I have resisted the urge to haunt the auction houses, knowing that some rare examples show up from time to time, but the hunt is as much fun as having these guns in my possession. One of these days I'll run into a large ejector rod version, hopefully in good condition.
Thanks for posting yours, it's a very nice gun.