View Single Post

Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Liked 1,487 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelyfun66 View Post
I will tell for sure later this evening, but it appears that I CAN show up with my out-of-state friend, and do the transfer on the spot (as long as the FBI clears me on the background check, which has never been a problem ).

Some states might be different, but keep in mind, Vermont is pretty loose with its laws......don't even need a permit to carry concealed.....even non-residents!
Federal law allows for your friend to transfer the gun to you if he first transfers it to an LGS in your state. He can do this by walking into the LGS and stating he wishes to transfer the gun to you. The LGS notes the transfer from your friend to the LGS in his bound book. Then you can receive the gun from the LGS by complying with all applicable Federal and State laws. There is no shipment necessary. LGSs do this as a routine transfer, no big deal.

I have dealt with this for the past 12 years while working in an LGS. State law can and will have to be dealt with as well. As the saying goes your mileage may vary because of your state laws.