View Single Post

Old 04-22-2013, 02:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Broken Firing Pin

My BG is less than a week old, shot about 20 rounds through it and the firing pin broke and fell in my hand while holding it at home. I did do a significant amount of dry firing, but can't imagine I made it to even 200 trigger pulls. Called S&W, spoke with two people who both told me they haven't heard of this and that dry firing should be perfectly fine. Initially I was going to send the gun back, but was told the shipping label would reach me via mail in about 5 days, and then after they received the BG, another 2-4 weeks could go by before it was returned to me. After reading through this and other forum threads, looked up the replacement of firing pin instructions which is very simple to do from what I saw, and called S&W again to cancel the shipping, and asked them to ship me a new firing pin instead for my own installation, I paid for expedited shipping $15 for 2day. My serial number is KAC#### and the casing date was from Jan of 2013. I thought the gun would be flawless in design and issues by now, but was proven wrong within a week. I am glad though that it broke in my hand and not when in a situation I really needed it. What's scary is that this firing pin can break and the small piece fall right off anywhere you are and you would never know until the day you tried to fire it. Do we know if there is an aftermarket firing pin that is made with better material to prevent this breaking at the end of the firing pin where the hammer strikes?

Update with added info:
I took the slide off and carefully took a look at the firing pin safety and how the gun works when pulling the trigger. I put the small piece that fell off of the firing pin back in the hold and pushed it with a small screw driver while looking at the other end inside the slide where the firing pin head comes out through and see that I can move the firing pin back and forth but not all the way through without pushing the small silver looking piece of metal where the back of the firing pin is under the slide and then saw the firing pin goes through entirely and I see the tip of the firing pin come out the slide to hit the primer of a casing. I think the problem really is with that safety that moves up so the firing pin can be pushed through all the way by the hammer when the trigger is pulled. I assume it must not be going all the way up every time and causing this extra pressure on the pin, eventually breaking it which also means the pin is of poor quality metals because the strike really isn't some great force. Has anyone though of removing this safety and using the gun without it? I know the safety is there to prevent the firing pin from going forward unless a trigger pull is executed which I can fail to see that actually happening when I pull the trigger. I see a little lever that sits inside the housing and right under where that little guard button is but I don't see it actually move when I pull the trigger and watch it push the button up or anything. I can't imagine this hammer going back by itself and striking the firing pin unless you actually pulled the heavy trigger, so maybe removing this safety will prevent the breaking of the firing pins? Obviously not something S&W intended for you to do, but maybe their design was poorly executed and they're causing the FP to break because of this "Safety". I'd like to hear what you guys may have to say about this.

Update again: found that the safety for the FP is pushed up all the way at the end of the trigger pull by that metal piece in the housing. With your BG fully assembled, put a flashlight to the back and pull the trigger all the way and hold it then barely let it go and pull it multiple times while you watch the back, you'll see the FP safety "plate" move up and down and on the right you will see the lever being pushed up each time you pull the trigger and go down when you slightly release it.

Last edited by maspingu; 04-22-2013 at 03:09 PM.