View Single Post

Old 04-24-2013, 11:58 AM

Liked 7,051 Times in 2,392 Posts

An uncle taught me to shoot when I was a kid and gave me his old .22 rifle, it never had a magazine, the stock was cracked but it was a good shooter. I was allowed to carry it afield when I was around 12, I was a responsible kid and never got into any trouble with the rifle. I was the best shooter in my company in boot camp, qualified expert with the M14 and according to my DI if I wanted to could probably make it on the rifle team or work as a sniper, that wasn't what I wanted to do. I remember my favorite targets were the 300 meter reactionary targets that fell down after you hit them, I liked to hit them when they were about halfway up. One day my DI was standing behind me while I was in the butts, whistling as I popped those long range targets he told me "You are one eagle-eyed ********". I was popping them all before they got halfway up, 300, 200, 150, 100 all of them a target popped up at 20 yds, I shifted my position and missed it completely...Sarge kicked me in the back of my helmet and said "Thats the ******** that kills you."