View Single Post

Old 04-24-2013, 04:45 PM

Liked 2,464 Times in 876 Posts
Default Guns

I grew up in a family where guns and hunting were the norm, my mom had five brothers and they were all farmer's and hunter's, my dad was a hunter and his brother was a hunter as well, almost all of these men were WWII combat vet's.....I actually learned to shoot when I was a grade schooler(late 50's - early 60's) in the Boy Scouts troop 121......our scout master was a NRA rifle instructor and a WWII combat vet also.
On scout meeting day, us scouts carried our cased .22 rifles to school, stacked them in the principal's office until after school, then we would retrieve them, take them to the scout meeting, get loaded up in the scout master's station wagon and conveyed South of town to the Federal Penitentiary training ctr where they had a indoor small bore rifle range......that is where I learned to shoot, I learned to carry a gun into the field and hunt with my dad and Uncle's and that was an entirely different curriculum there with some serious instructors...then onto the military in 69 and then 34 years of law enforcement after that.
Those early years with the scouts and my Dad and Uncles will always be in my heart and mind.