View Single Post

Old 05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
US Veteran

Liked 13,380 Times in 4,624 Posts

I tip my hat to you monster bore shooters. I decided awhile back that it wasn't for me, I don't need that much recoil in my life, and I'm more than fairly recoil tolerant most of the time. "Recoil is your friend" as someone once told me. I gave up monster bore rifles, too. Just don't need it. But, having some experience, and a tidbit of knowledge, I have two comments.

First, the dual wielder with the .460 and .500 is a solid mass young man and with his arms locked I'd expect him to be able to absorb that much recoil. However, his footwork/body position/stance, by any name, is all wrong. At least IMO and as far as I can tell. His feet are parallel when they should be one more forward than the other and his back is bent. You can't pick your stance really well in a gunfight or when a bear come at you but to demonstrate shooting anything you should use proper form. had he done so his body would not have rocked backwards as much as it did. Just my opinion.

Also, and very interestingly, by using his arms locked out he was able to keep those guns way out there during recoil. But as we saw in another video, using a two handed Weaver or isosceles stance with any kind of elbow bending does cause you to risk the recoil forcing a deeper bend and the gun coming back at your face. I only mention this because when I tip my hat to you folks who shoot monster bores I am constrained to tell you a story, a Ruger story as I recollect but it doesn't matter much.

Early in the time when the monster bore cartridges were moving into the mainstream and not just being made by Linebaugh and Frontier, sometime around ten years ago or so, some shooters took a Ruger .454 to a range outside San Antonio and had a whale of a good time with it. One of their sons present, a 12 year old, asked to shoot it and his dad allowed him. He was given instruction, etc. The recoil from the first round caused the gun to fly all the way back, the hammer hit the boy directly in the head, and he died. (You can still find the story on line if you want to check me out.)

Moral of the story - these monster calibers are not for the inexperienced nor for anyone with less than adequate arm strength. I'm not saying don't play with them - I have the experience and the strength but I simply won't do it any more - I'm just asking in the name of gun safety to ensure that anyone you allow to play with you is really ABLE to do so safely. Keeping the gun pointed safely downrange is one thing. Being able to keep it there AFTER the round leaves the muzzle is another.

***GRJ***
The Following User Likes This Post: