View Single Post

Old 05-19-2013, 10:30 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,185 Times in 415 Posts

The S&W Model 15 has always been one of my two favorite handguns (the other being the Colt 1911/1911A1/Mk IV Series 70). It was the first firearm I ever handled and was taught to shoot in the summer of 1967 at USAFA Basic Summer. I then went on to carry one for a short period of time as a Combat Controller. When I first got in the career field we were issued both the Model 15 and the Colt GAU-5. But shortly thereafter the powers that be decided that we only needed one firearm for our mission and we lost the Model 15s.

I don't know if I've told the story here or not but the only "Model 15" I have in the inventory was born a 6" Target Masterpiece in Jan 1949. In May 1950 it was returned to S&W to have the barrel cut down to 4" and a ramped front sight installed (all verified by Roy Jinks). I am assuming it was because the owner wanted the (then) newly introduced Combat Masterpiece but could not get a new one so he took the next best step.

I no longer collect S&Ws (or so I tell myself) but I still look at every gun show and gun shop for a mid-60's Model 15, either 2" or 4" to complete my non-existance collection.