View Single Post

Old 05-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engieman View Post
Hopster - yes, for the Leupold, you remove the rear sight (3 screws), replace with the 'foundation bracket' which sits right into space created by the SW sight removal, thus a low profile.....and the sight comes with about 10 (?) different bases to mount the Leupold (HK, CZ, Kimber, Sig, Weaver, etc.), and of course the S&W revolver mount. The actual sight is screwed into that. Compact, secure, low profile, custom fit. Leupold sells two versions for mounting(same scope), one as above with the variety of adaptable platforms, and the second being Weaver mount only. That version is a few bucks cheaper, and of course with the first version, you have 9 or so mounts (adapters) you're not using, but with that versatility, you can move from gun to gun theoretically, although you would have to re-sight.

I too have a stigmatism and old eyes, and I found the Leopold to be clear and lack the 'fuzzyness' the other scopes seem to do to the red dot. Also, two different red dots are offered, one a 7 triangle designed for action shooting (cool, fast), and a 3 dot designed for accuracy and precision shooting. I got the 3. The 7 is too big for bullseye-type shooting. I recommend the sight, and especially the mounting system. Best out there for the Smith revolver in my opinion. I will be buying a second one soon.

Note - I previously had a 2X leopold with Burris mounts/rings for my 629. Beautiful set-up, but I sold it off because 1) with the magnification, you really see how much you're unsteady, and 2) the weight and height the scope while minimal, really messed up the ergonomics/feel of the gun. Change the balance. For my 629, I bought a Jack Weigland (spelling?) replacement blade which has a wide notch, I think .140, and a flat, target type back, sight picture. I'm very happy with that set-up as well. Another solution for 'old eyes. Good luck
Excellent info. Thanks. My 629 has a dovetail front sight but this will be an optics only gun when I get this all settled.
I will try out the deltapoint next time I see one that I can look at before buying. Worse case scenario is I can always use another mini dot on my rifles or even a 686.