Thread: Dead PC
View Single Post

Old 05-27-2013, 10:47 AM

Liked 9,184 Times in 3,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quneur View Post
My MS XP home gave up the ghost. Actually, the NVidia video drivers mangled the video and trying to reinstall XP, setup said no harddrive existed. So, I downloaded Ubuntu due to the wireless card in this laptop. Worked right out of the -internet-. Ugh, other distros did not have the divers and to load it took me the entire weekend only to completely fail. Its the instructions written by weekend techs. I don't speak nerd.

Now, to change the font because I can't take an operating system seriously if it looks cartoonish.
I went through pure hell trying to upgrade my Fedora 16 server to 17, then 18. There were no video drivers for the onboard video, and I simply had no desire to buy a video card so that I could run a hobby server that I VNC into when at work.

The whole thing became a hideous debacle. I finally punted and switched to Ubuntu. Apart from some fairly opaque instructions on how to install the VPN (which doesn't work from work anyway) and VNC, and the effort to deter you from SUing, it's been very good.