View Single Post

Old 06-01-2013, 06:30 PM

Liked 157 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
I don't think any .357 was NYPD authorized? I understand Big Boku should know the answer for certain.
They were by mistake in 1979. The first class after the fiscal crisis was in 1979, which is the first time the Ruger Police Service 6 was authorized. Less than 20 recruits I believe chose the Ruger. Well, unlike S&W who uses different sized cylinders in the Model 10 and 13 Ruger uses the same cylinder and just reems the cylinder deeper to accommodate the 357 over the 38.

The job received Police Service Six revolvers marked 38 special, but with 357 cylinders. Once discovered (by a dept. gunsmith) they were recalled and the cylinders were replaced with 38 special cylinders.

I came on with the Model 10, but acquired a Ruger from the equipment section as a spare after hearing how easy it was to convert. Also bought the Speed Six off duty, great guns. I wasn't assigned to the range, but several good friends were...you see where this is going? All my Rugers (eventually I bought the stainless versions of the service and off duty Rugers also) were converted to 357.

The original Blue one has one of the exchanged 357 cylinders and the others had the cylinders reemed to accommodate the 357. I have a full set.
The Following User Likes This Post: