View Single Post

Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 8,980 Times in 3,563 Posts

There are 3 variations of the second type in my collection of Helpful Hints. Somewhere in the old posts is a chronology of the types that I put together on the old Joe Miller SWCA site and brought here several years ago. I will try to reproduce it now.

The first type is obviously the one with Officer Ray J. Nowka of the LAPD wearing jodphurs.

Of the second type, the first variation in my collection is 7" tall by 7 3/4" wide. Like the first type it shows a half moon front sight, has the S&W rugged design paragraph in the lower corner under the sideplate and has a print date of 7-51. The inner S&W logo is larger and the upper border is two solid lines with a line of O's and dashes in between. The sight pictures shows the 6 o'clock hold at the top and the center hold at the bottom. The photo shows a cylinder stop screw and a hole for the top sideplate screw, so this variation is for the 5 screw guns.

The next varation is 6 5/8" tall and 7 1/8" wide. It now shows a ramp style front sight, the upper sideplate hole is gone, still has the rugged paragraph, the SAFETY paragraph has changed and the sight pictures are now reversed with the 6 o'clock hold now at the bottom. There is also an added paragraph about SIGHT ADJUSTMENT. The S&W logo is smaller and there is only one line across the top of the inner pages. Now shows the cylinder center pin spring. Still has a cylinder stop screw so this should be for 4 screw guns up to around 1961 when that screw was eliminated.

Variation 3 is now 7" tall and 7" wide.The photo of Harold Devine is now blurred compared to the 2nd variation. Appears to be a copy from the 2nd variation. Inside is the same as variation number 2. Rugged paragraph is now gone. Cylinder stop screw and cylinder stop stud now gone from picture. This variation would be for 3 screw guns and should be post 1961 when the cylinder stop screw was eliminated.

I too used to have the rare Centennial version but somehow it has disappeared. Not sure if it got misplaced or if during one of my public displays, someone wanted it more than me.
LM #497
The Following 4 Users Like Post: