View Single Post

Old 06-02-2013, 02:13 AM
US Veteran

Liked 546 Times in 226 Posts

I went shooting one day with a bunch of friends, several of whom had very little firearms experience or knowledge. At one point, one guy was trying to shoot his .45 ACP 1911, but he was having trouble chambering a round. He tried it twice, but the round just wouldn't chamber...so he called me over and asked for my help. I took a look at it, and found there was a case stuck in the chamber. We used a cleaning rod to tap it out, and it was blown out, and split.

Apparently one of our "friends" had inadvertently loaded it with some 9mm. I don't know exactly how it played out for them, because they (whoever "they" might have been) never said a word, just put it back in its case and walked away.

In any case, I field-stripped the gun, and checked it out as best as I could, and I couldn't see any obvious problems. Even so, I advised my friend not to shoot it any more that day, and that he should have a gunsmith check it out. He did, and it was deemed okay. It hasn't given him any problems since, and this was probably 6 or so years ago.

Tim