View Single Post

Old 06-02-2013, 04:21 PM

Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default Wondering about a 1953 Kit Gun I saw yesterday? very unusual sights?

Yesterday at one of the FleaMarkets they have twice a year, I seen a Model of 1953 (3 screw) 4 inch Kit Gun Round Butt that made me scratch my head. Please bear with me with my description, I have no pics. Serial Number was 38,XXX (I'm guessing what 1956-1957?). The gun had a lot of "honest wear" but not abused any. I would rate condition around the 92%-93% neighborhood. Nice Original Diamond grips from the time period (didn't take off to see if matched but figured they did). The thing which was so unusual was the sights, especially the front sight. The front sight looked like a regular sight of a model 34/pre-34, BUT at the top of it it had a little tiny round dome which came up with a gold bead on the front. It definitely wasn't a Call front sight. The top of the sight kinda reminded me of the sight on my Marlin 1894 Cowboy limited (but smaller) or a lot like my grooved receiver Winchester model 61, just with a little round gold bead of the front. The rear sight was the standard style EXCEPT the BLADE had a perfect V cut in it instead of the "U". I looked closely at the front sight and could not tell any modifications. I just had never encountered one like that I can remember. The price was $700 which would have been firm with this guy, no box of course so I passed (I am a condition collector anyway) and did some research last night with no luck. I started to go back today and take pics and get his number but it was pouring down rain all day. I will see this guy in the future and could probably even round up his number through my buddies if needed. I would have went ahead and bought it as a shooter/interesting piece if it was about 150-200 less. I know this is a tough question without pics, but Any thoughts, special order sights or aftermarket/modified sights? Thanks.