View Single Post

Old 06-06-2013, 12:47 AM

Liked 29,302 Times in 13,853 Posts
Default Mine was a little tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
Really? I was afraid I had goofed.

On an unrelated note, is at all possible to get a spring with LESS tension? Not that it's a huge deal, but I find racking the slide to be difficult sometimes. I see people doing it like it's nothing in videos, but for me (And I'll admit I'm a tad scrawny / weak) I've got to make sure I've got a super tight grip.

My Ruger, it's a breeze. My room mate's Taurus, no hassle at all. My S&W, a tad more difficult than I expected.

My 5943 was a little tough when I got it (though it supposedly was used) it was still pretty stiff. I worked it a while by hand and now my wife can rack no problems. If I take the magazine out I can work the slide back and forth w/o locking so I'm free to just move it back and forth quickly

When drawing the slide about an inch back there is a place where the slide wants to stop but ignore it and just keep pulling.

Also, there is an easier way to rack than pinching the slide between your thumb and your finger that's a lot easier. You've got two other pistols so you probably know this but I'll illustrate.

Hold the pistol in your right hand close to the body like you just did a 'fast draw'. Put your left hand OVER the slide to the rear so you won't block the ejection port. Push the frame forward with your right while pulling the slide back with your left and just let go. While doing this you can turn your body to keep the gun pointed downrange.

=====

I watched a guy on youtube to see how to strip down my semi and he said pull the slide back until the holes align and then "just hold the slide back with your finger". WHAT?? I tried that and it just about broke my finger and it was touch and go figuring out how to get the slide back to get my durn finger out! I see people racking and holding the slide all the time like it's nothing, some people say they can rack with only one hand. I'VE NEVER EXPERIENCED THIS. Anytime I've tried to rack a semi it was stiff as could be.

Last edited by rwsmith; 06-06-2013 at 10:52 AM.