View Single Post

Old 06-16-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked 381 Times in 183 Posts

I've thought about this a lot. I have both revolvers and a semi.

Here are my thoughts.

Reliability:
Revolver...fail to fire? Just pull the trigger again.
Semi...fail to fire? Rack slide, eject bad cartridge, reload new. Another fail to fire? Repeat.
Plus....Revolver

Ammo loading/storage:
Revolver...insert 5/6/8 (based on capacity) cartridges into the cylinder, close. Want more capacity? Get a speed loader.
Semi....insert 5/10/15 (based on capacity) into one or how many you have magazines. Hard to do? Strengthen your fingers or get a Upula loader. Don't forget to rotate Mags to prevent spring fatigue. Wife can't load the mag? Load for her or train her to use Upula loader.
Plus...Revolver

Carrying for Self Defense
Revolver....always loaded and ready to go. Pull trigger, go Boom!
Semi.....do you carry with one "in the pipe"? If no can you rack slide fast enough if threatened? Aka Israeli Method?
If you continually carry in the pipe, what about bullet seating? Will the bullet get pushed into he case with repeated use?
Plus......Revolver

Use by multiple users:
Revolver.....wife can easily load and shoot
Semi.....wife has trouble loading magazine (especially trying to put max qty of bullets in) wife cannot rack slide to chamber round.

Brass Collection:
Revolver.....open cylinder, drop empties onto table, bucket, etc
Semi.....seek and search. Is that a .40? No.....I thought I shot 10 rounds? I'm only finding 8??
Plus......Revolver

Cleaning and Care:
Revolver......open cylinder, clean cylinder and barrel, easy access
Semi......depends on Model and Make. See Owners Manual. Not all are the same to take down.
Plus...Revolver

Just my opinion. And we all know what that's worth........

Last edited by Steely Dan; 06-16-2013 at 06:59 AM.