View Single Post

Old 06-18-2013, 12:57 PM

Liked 2,358 Times in 1,117 Posts

As long as we're lamenting the ghosts of new vehicles....

I have an '06 Dodge 6 cylinder truck with a tendency to put itself in 4wd on its own. It even tries to go into 4lo by itself. When I'm pulling 26,000 pounds and it decides to try for 4lo on a freeway, my pulse quickens a bit!!!

A very good shop quickly diagnosed the TIPM compuker as the culprit. $1,000 later it still did the same thing.

10 hours of diagnostic time later it just HAD to be the transfer case servo motor or control box, a new one ($350) replaced them both.

No dice. Same problem.

10 more hours and it's got to be a short in the wiring somewhere making the compuker believe I want to be in 4wd.

They want to trace every wire, and there are 6 of them, from the transfer case to the computer, to look for a intermittent short.

The good news is they haven't charged me a penny since the TIPM replacement. They are just doggedly searching for the answer.

The engine is a beast and hasn't missed a beat in 160,000 miles of hard work. The Dodge truck however is a pile of junk. I wish I could get a Cummins in another brand of truck....