View Single Post

Old 07-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Liked 5,638 Times in 1,631 Posts

Seeing Gatorbaiter's outstanding stiletto collection made me pull this one out and take a couple of photos. Custom, rare or classic ? I don't know about that, but here's the story.
My dad was in Laredo, TX in early 1944 receiving aerial gunnery training prior to attending Navigation school and going on to serve as a Navigator on a B-24 out of Italy. I assume that he bought this knife while on leave from the Laredo base and visiting Mexico. He carried it inside his A2 flight jacket throughout his combat tour, probably more for the reassurance that it may have given a 20 year old in those circumstances than anything else. The handle was originally cow or ox horn but bugs ate it and it crumbled away. I replaced it with a bit of California muley antler from a buck I took back when you could still hunt deer in SouCal. The pommel and cross guard are brass. Senor Cruz wasn't very good at spelling, you can see where he crossed out the C and replaced it with the X in Mexico. It's as sharp as a needle.

The Following 2 Users Like Post: