View Single Post

Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts
Default Buffer Tube Issue

In February, I purchased a 15-22 MOE version. I have been extremely happy with the performance of the rifle with one minor issue - the buffer tube and MagPul collapsible stock.

A few weeks ago, while extending it, the stock came completely off. Looking at the buffer tube, it isn't obvious as to what the failure is - there *MIGHT* be a small chip in the back edge of the tube. If there is, the stock doesn't come off all of the time when extending it. It just takes the right angle when trying to extend it. I took it to the LGS where it was purchased, and they thought that I was using extreme force to pull it off... until they were able to get it off themselves!

I usually use the stock in the 2nd position, and collapse it completely when my wife or son uses the rifle. I generally extend it fully for storage purposes.

So, the question that I'll throw out to the community is....

Do I send it back to S&W for repair (which likely means a new lower), or do I keep it and live with it? Do I switch out the stock for a CTR or similar that can be locked down completely? Other than the stock coming off the end *sometimes*, there does not appear to be an issue with the tube or stock, and no impact regarding firing or otherwise handling the rifle.

Thanks for your inputs and insights.