View Single Post

Old 07-10-2013, 04:20 AM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I voted for the CZs. I have put more rounds through my CZ85 Combat than any other 9mm.

To help you understand CZ’s model names, “B” means the model has a Colt Series 80 style firing pin safety and a roll pin retaining the firing pin. Both those changes were for the worse. “85” means a 75 with ambidextrous safeties. Pre-B CZ75s and CZ85 Combats have a 1911 style stop plate retaining the firing pin and no Series 80 firing pin plunger. CZ offers a nicely polished blue finish for a few dollars more than their ugly painted finish. Stores seldom stock CZ’s better finishes. Usually you have to order them. When I bought my CZ blued, satin nickel and ugly paint were all the same price yet the stores still only stocked ugly painted CZs. Prior to the buying frenzy that started in last November CZ USA and CDNN sold new CZ 75/85 15 round factory magazines for $20. It’s likely they will again, or at least they’ll get back down to $25.

CZ’s Cadet .22 LR upper is one of the best .22 conversion kits despite being moderately priced at $250 to $300. Rather than trying to make a .22 LR move a large slide it has a small steel slide moving within the rear of what looks like a slide. Consequently it retains the weight and balance of the center fire slide. A .22 conversion is a worthwhile training/plinking accessory. A Cadet conversion would bump him over his $600 limit but it can be purchased later. Besides, every one needs a .22 handgun and the Cadet is a good one.

Regarding your exclusion of 3rd generation autos, all S&Ws made after about 1989 have a lifetime warranty whether or not you are the original owner. S&W still makes production runs of 3rd generation autos to fill police department orders. It will be a long time before it’s difficult to get one repaired.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: