View Single Post

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 7,073 Times in 1,585 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishinfool View Post
GKC- I am going to swim against the current here and mention the Ruger P series pistol. For several years I conducted training for new recruits for an agency that issued these pistols. I have seen many thousands of rounds put thru these guns, and I am impressed with them.

Yea, a little clunky looking, not as sexy as a SIG or H&K, but they are as reliable as all get out, accurate, and feel good in the hand. Trigger action on the D/A only, and DA/SA versions is very good, and the price and Ruger's reputation for standing behind their product is icing on the cake.

Class after class shot these same 25 or 30 range guns on about a daily basis, and the only problem I noticed was a few broken extractors. A lot of the big name shooting iron did not do as well from the reliability aspect.

Larry
I also like the Ruger P95. I have one of the older ones, bought when it first came out for around $230 new. It's the P95/DC with the slide-mounted decocker lever. Unlike S&W autos I can actually reach the decocker. I believe current P95s have a more rubbery textured frame and an accessory rail - the original frames were a little "slick" feeling.

One thing that I really like about the P95 is that it is easier to rack the slide than most any other full-size auto I know of. Part of it is the big fat slide that is easy to grip but it also seems like the springs are softer than other autos. A lot of women that I've taken shooting like it because of that - many times it's the only gun (that's bigger than a .22) that they can operate.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: