View Single Post

Old 07-15-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked 50 Times in 2 Posts
Default CHARLIE AND COMPANY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
What an intriguing and generous offer, especially for a first post! How about starting us off with the precise location of Greenblatt's shop and the years of operation? Also, what other brands did he carry besides S&W? Did he also carry Colt, for instance? What about the leather goods LEOs need so much of? Finally, did he sell to LEOs only, or was he open to the public (with NYC gun laws as they were/are this would be most interesting.) Thanks again for bringing this trove of information with you to the forum!

Froggie
Hello Froggie,

If ever there were three guys who lucked out, it was Charlie Greenblatt, Sol Jacobson a.k.a. Jake, and Louie Greenblatt, Charlie's younger brother. Before they got into business together, Charlie drove a milk truck that was drawn by a horse, Jake drove a fat truck, also drawn by horse, and Louie had some kind of job that did not require a horse.

These guys were hard-working people who came up the hard way. Charlie and Jake seemed to have very little formal education, but I can't say the same for younger brother, Louis. He was more polished and gentrified than the other two. He was also the workhorse.

Jake and Charlie were interested in police and guns, and joined the volunteer auxiliary police. New York City auxiliary police had absolutely no police powers. They're prohibited from carrying guns, and were told not to do anything except call for the regular cops, in case it was something that needed police involvement.

They both had pistol licenses, and used to enjoy going to the range to practice. They began to buy used guns, and resell them, for pocket change. At the time, in the middle 1940's, Colt was the dominant player in the law enforcement market, and Smith & Wesson wanted very badly to change that. Part of the problem was that most departments required cops to carry a six shot 38 sp. revolver off-duty, and Colt's Detective Special was much lighter, and easier to conceal than Smith & Wesson's six shot M & P 2 inch, which was a K-frame weapon. The five shot Chief's Special was prohibited, and nothing S & W could do would make NYPD change its mind.

Meanwhile, Charlie and Jake were doing pretty well buying and selling used guns for cash and trade. Each tired of the smell of horse manure that came with their delivery jobs, they decided to open a store, and devote all their efforts to a gun business.

In 1944, they moved into 3 Centre Market Place, which was surrounded by other police equipment/gun stores, because of its close proximity To New York City Police headquarters, as well as many State, City, Federal agencies.

Like the others, Greenblatt's sold to cops and pistol permit holders alike. Somehow, after incorporating and legitimizing their business, Smith & Wesson agreed to make them law enforcement "distributors". This was the turning point for Charles Greenblatt Incorporated. although, believe it or not, that was no great feat, because Smith & Wesson's were a hard to sell to law enforcement.

Yes, Froggie, anyone who had a badge or a NYPD pistol license, could buy a gun from Greenblatt. However, Smith & Wesson required all of its distributors to sell handguns at dealer price to cops and dealers. Others paid the retail price.

NYPD had strict uniform requirements requiring on duty leather goods, made by a company called Jay-Pee. There were no fancy rigs allowed, and these holsters were not form fitted and they had no strap to snap over the hammer. Naturally,Greenblatt sold that brand. At that time, holsters were very simple, both on and off duty.

(I've got to get to work, so I can't add any more at this time. I could write a book about the Greenblatts, but I don't know if anyone would be that interested in them.If there are any direct questions that you would like to have answered, I will oblige as promised). Otherwise, I'll assume that everyone's interest has been satisfied. I've got to catch the subway now, or I will be late for work.)
The Following 48 Users Like Post: