View Single Post

Old 07-16-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked 25,774 Times in 8,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoMF View Post
Well, well. If it isn't my favorite Buffalo Bore salesman.

Sorry Chief, but those little boutique boxes are not as good a value as the Remington 50-count boxes, nor do BB's bullets expand as reliably as the tried and true Remington version, at least as far as informal testing with the standard velocity version is concerned. (Besides, aren't those Rim Rock bullets supposed to be SOFTER?)

I have loads of scientific data to show that the Remington FBI load penetrates a minimum of 12" and expands more often than not from a snub. Do you have any test data to support the "more MV/ME is better" theory? Not trying to be snarky, but I'm not buying into the hype. Real world terminal ballistics and scientific testing appeal to me more than big MV/ME numbers.

If it doesn't penetrate at least 12" and isn't a fairly robust expander, I think I'll just stick with my "clunky," proven Remingtons.
Not bad-mouthing Remington's FBI load at all. It IS a reliable expander and has been around for many many years. Yes you are also correct that the Buffalo Bore 158 grain HP will not expand as much as the Remington will - tested them myself, but the BB does expand somewhat. To me shot placement is #1, Penetration is #2 and expansion is #3. I also agree that the Buffalo Bore ammo is costly - more than twice the price of the Remington, HOWEVER...... I also believe that the same weight slug moving out of my 2' Chief's Special at 200 fps faster will penetrate much better ( especially when winter clothing is worn ) and will mean much greater shocking (stopping) power. Penetration is needed to reach vital organs when heavy clothing is involved.

1025 ft/sec out of a 2" bbl. is low end .357 Magnum performance - and I don't think too many will argue that the .357 isn't much better than a 38 Special. Don't want to turn this into an p. match and that's why they make both I suppose. I just wanted to simply point out the advantages of the BB over the Big 3's offerings IF you like them.

Since I do not use them for regular plinking and target shooting the cost is not a major factor in which defense ammo I choose. For practice I hand load and thus the cost is irrelevant and I am not looking for a bargain when it comes to the cost for self defense ammunition - just the best I can get into my 2" M60.

Last edited by chief38; 07-16-2013 at 12:55 PM.