View Single Post

Old 07-17-2013, 02:28 PM
Banned

Liked 744 Times in 355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKC View Post
It is difficult to find a metal frame semi these days for $600 or less. This thread has mentioned some makes/models that I have no experience with, and will certainly explore...if I can find them locally. He doesn't mind ordering a gun, but he wants to hold it in his hand (at least the same model) before he does. That may be a problem with some models...finding one in a shop locally.

We discussed this thread over coffee this morning, and my brother-in-law is leaning toward the Beretta 92FS/M9. I've seen them previously in gun shops for around $600 new, and Academy Sports has a 92FS on its website for $600. Gun Genie has a M9 for an average price of $650 through dealers in my area...which is the way I'm going to encourage him to go, if he finally decides on a 92FS/M9, since Gun Genie has a lifetime warranty, and Beretta's warranty is limited to 3 years (1 initially, plus 2 if you register) and their CS is not the best.

I've also been watching the Taurus PT92 thread that is going on here now...it may be worth having him take a look at that model. I wouldn't ordinarily recommend a Taurus, based on my experience, but the PT92 seems to be the most reliable gun they make. Plus, if he buys it from Gun Genie, they have their own lifetime warranty...I know Taurus does too, but their CS is (or was) very bad in my experience. Gun Genie's average price for the stainless model is $585 through gun dealers in my area....Academy has them listed for $380 (blue) which is a lot less, but then you have to deal with Taurus CS if you have a problem. Since there is very little price difference between the Taurus and Beretta from Gun Genie, if he goes that route he might as well get the Beretta.

Other than that, when it comes to a DA/SA pistol, SIG is my favorite...and I agree, he should kick in a few more dollars and get a P229...or a P228, without a rail (I don't like rails on my guns) but it's his money and his gun.

He could buy a used SIG and send it in, and they will strip it down, clean it, replace all the maintenance parts and springs, and install new night sights for $145. It still won't have the warranty, but it should function with no problem after that, since they also function test it before returning it. (Does S&W offer anything like that for the Gen3 guns?)

There are still the poly framed guns to consider. I like being a personal gun shopper...it could be my new career!
Difficult but not impossible... The CZ 75 line depending on model, finish and features can be had for less than $500.00 when available from several vendors. I've dealt with Angus at CZ Customs for awhile now and have a 2075 Rami on order. You'll have to wait but in my estimation it's well worth it.