View Single Post

Old 07-20-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked 10,888 Times in 3,660 Posts
Default Birds fatalities at the hands of our windows

We have some great and diverse birds around here. Migratory and year around residence. We've been here nearly 20 years and still see new varieties in our yard every year.

Sadly, we have way too many fly into our windows and die. We have silhouettes of prey birds in the windows to try to alter their flight plans but the windows are reflective and look like the surrounding sky.

This morning we had a pair of Scarlet Tanagers fly into a window off my back deck. The male was a striking red and a very deep, glossy black. The slightly smaller female much a more subdued olive and drab yellow. Thankfully they both died quickly and didn't suffer too long. As usual, I brought the bodies into the woods.

Seems like we get a couple "kamikazes" a week in the spring and summer. The tell-tale "bang" will usually determine the size and narrow down which window was the culprit. Sometimes they leave a "dust outline" of themselves on the window (especially the Doves). More often than not they are dead by the time we check it out.

I know it's morbid but we've had some very interesting victims. Kinglets, various Warblers and Thrashes are somewhat typical. The occasional Cardinal, Dove, Robin, Finch or small Woodpecker are not unusual.

We don't get near enough Crows, Starlings or Grackles to effect the populations of those pests. We hardly ever see Sparrows or Wrens.

We had a Pileated Woodpecker. He was much smaller than I'd imagined them to be once I picked him up. Their feathers make them seem bigger than they actually are.

We had a Saw Whet Owl a couple years back. He was fascinating little guy. We had a Dove being chased by a Sharp Shin Hawk both fly into our front hallway window. That was a big bang! I'm surprise we didn't have any broken glass on that one. The Hawk ultimately flew away (I'm sure with one heck of a headache).

We've brought in some survivors but have never had one live more than a day. We at least move those who survive impact to a more concealed and safe place to hopefully recuperate. (We learned this the hard way when we left a juvenile Kinglet on a deck rail in a man-made grass "nest" to gain his senses and a Crow came and carried him off for lunch). Most times they don't survive very long but upon occasion they do fly off.

It's still very sad when it happens. Regardless, I try to learn something about each species (both from physical examination and reading up on them afterwards).