View Single Post

Old 07-21-2013, 11:26 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,157 Times in 7,409 Posts

Is John McCain American? He was born on a naval base outside the US, I believe. Yes, he was ruled a US citizen. You have equal claim to being Texan.

It can get more complicated. Nicole Kidman's parents were vacationing in Hawaii when she was born. Her parents are Australian, so she is. But she was born here, so has dual citizenship in the USA.

Australian actress Rachel Blakely was born in Brunei, to a US father and an Australian mother. She is not considered to be from Brunei. She considers herself to be Australian, but has/had dual US citizenship, which makes it easier to visit her dad and sister here. Several years ago, she attended a ceremony which affirmed her primary citizenship to be Aussie.

I doubt that Kidman wants to run for President here, but in theory, she probbably could, as she was born on US soil.

Blakely was born to a US father, but to an Aussie mother, on foreign soil. She probably could not run.

He Whose Name May Not be Mentioned Here was supposedly born in Hawaii, to a US mother and a foreign father. He was able to run because he was born here, despite his father's citizenship. What if he was born here to TWO foreign nationals? See Kidman's case.

US bases are deemed to be US soil, I guess, so MCain could run. I think the base in his case was in Pamama. But he is evidently not a Panamanian citizen.

If Nicole Kidman runs for US office, she'd probably have to renounce Australian citizenship. I think only allegiance to the US qualifies one to run for US offices. Renouncing all foreign titles and encumberances, or whatever...If she is ever named as Dame Nicole by the Queen, she'd have to renounce that title.

Beware of joining a foreign military. The US State Dept. advised me that I'd lose US citizenshp if I joined the Army or national police in then-Rhodesia. This issue seems to have been waived for US pilots who joined the RAF in 1940. And the Flying Tigers were allowed to fight for China. My guess is that Rhodesia was too non-PC for the same consideration.

I think you are qualified as a native Texan. But you may have dual citizenship in the birth state.Still, it isn't awful, as if you had been born in say, New Jersey. Many Texans consider NJ to be a foreign country, and not a very desirable one, at that.

I am an immigrant. I was born in the American midwest and only moved here when I was maybe 2-3 years old. My parents were from Oklahoma and Arkansas. Actually, both were born in OK, but Mother was raised in AR and attended university there. I seldom mention this sordid family secret.
(Mother did earn her Master's degree at SMU in Dallas.)

Both of my own children were born in Texas, as were my grandchildren. I don't mind mentioning this.

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-21-2013 at 11:51 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: