View Single Post

Old 07-22-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts

I returned from Viet Nam in the fall of 1971.

Was traveling a lot for the government and wanted a "good revolver" for home protection (for the wife).

Walked into a gunshop in Laurel, MD. Had three (3) Mod 28 (4" barrel) in stock. Said he'd ordered a lot for the Md State Police, and by the time they came in, several officers had left the force. Paid a wopping $125 for that gun. Then, to top it off he threw in a couple boxes of 110 gr JHP in .357. Boxes were marked "For Police Use Only". That was some HOT ammo.

After firing the first cylinder of SuperVel, I knew my wife wasn't ready for that loading. Started her off on some 148gr wadcutters over 3.0grs of BE. Worked her up to shooting full bore .357 loads in about a month.

Always felt that if she had to use the gun, if she didn't hit the culprit on the first shot, he'd be a damn fool to wait around for the second shot to go off. Don't think I've ever seen another .357 loading that "blew flame" like the SuperVels.

Not sure I'd recommend a steady diet of those rounds in anything but an N frame (or similar). I've loaded some .357 rounds that "approach" SuperVels, but only shoot them in a Model 27.