US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,158 Times in 7,409 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by policerevolvercollector View Post
Here are some police issued Webley revolvers:
1) Natal Mounted Police

2) New South Wales Police

This group includes an Enfield from the Federation of Malaya Police (FMP) & Webleys from Singapore, London Metro Police, Egyptian Police , a R.I.C. issued MkIII, and others.

The Hong Police Police from the '30s in .38/145 aka 38/200 had a front sight insert that you changed when you switched from the lighter to the heavier bullet.This one is missing....:

I keep this .455 around just for looks:

The MK III .38 othe bottom in the third pic is what a couple of characters on, "Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World" should have had on the show. They actually used MK IV .38's, not made until at least 1927. The show was set from 1919-1922. Another MK IV .38 stood in for a MK VI .455, although Lord John Roxton did have a nickled pair of MK VI's, worn in shoulder holsters when he didn't wear his Colt 1911 .45.

If you have the DVD's or if the show goes into re-runs again, look at the Webley sometimes worn by Ned Malone and that old fud Dr. Summerlee.

BTW, the actor who played Summerlee is anti-gun and he and I had some disagreements about that on the former New Line Cinema board about the show. To his credit, after being cut from the cast after the first season, he did interact with fans on the board. None of the other stars did, although Rachel Blakely did do a phone-in interview from Australia and offered comments to be furthered by an intermediary. Jennifer O'Dell answered selected questions on her own board, since revised.

This is the last show that I saw that featured any Webleys, although three characters also or entirely used Colt products. Rachel (she played Marguerite Krux) had a Webley hammerless model (WP?) a couple of times, but often used an Iver Johnson that I guess was cheaper to rent from the prop house.

I just saw your added photos. The MK IV .38 with wooden stocks is the first that I've seen with wood on it. Thanks for the pictures.

The best Webley book is probably Wm. Chipchase Dowell's, "The Webley Story." But it seems hard to locate and is probably out of print. Geoffrey Boothroyd did a pretty good job on Webley with nice pics in, "The Handgun". That is probably the best single book ever written on handguns, from earliest times to about the mid-1960's.

Last edited by Texas Star; 07-23-2013 at 10:39 PM.