View Single Post

Old 07-31-2013, 08:40 PM

Liked 254 Times in 84 Posts

Depends on use.

I lived in Alaska for 35 years. When I put a scope on my rifle I considered it would be used for hunting and very possibly for self defense (big bears).

It had to remain clear and on target. It would receive heavy use. Carried on snow machines, in boats and on airplanes. It would be used in some of the worse weather and in the most extreme conditions in North America.

When I saved my money, as well as my time off, to take a 10-day fly-in hunt it was imperative my scope functioned.

I have seen many malfunctioning Bushnells, Tascos, and Simmons, to name a few.
I never had a failure of a Leupold (or old Redfield or old Weaver). The Leupolds I chose usually cost me about 75% of the value of my rifle. There were cheaper as well as much more expensive models, but the models with the features I used for hunting fell into that range.

Now, how about the guy in Florida, or Colorado, or wherever that may sight in his rifle with 1 or 2 shots each year, if at all, and most likely will ride around in the cab of a pickup truck a couple of mornings (if it doesn't rain) and will poke the muzzle out the window and actually shoot at a deer once every 8 years?
If he misses a deer its no big deal because his family won't go hungry . If the cross hairs fall apart he can replace the scope by stopping at Walmart on the way home. The most dangerous thing he will deal with is a stuck seat belt when they stop for beer.
About any scope that fits his rifle should suffice.

So, it depends on use.

Do you need dependability through extreme temps and rough handling? Do you need clarity in the brush at twilight? Do you shoot a hard recoiling gun that may shake the scope's innards loose?

If so, you must pay for it!

Now that I am retired and live where the weather is a little friendlier and I am hunting when I walk out my back door, I find old habits hard to break.
But I am using a Vortex on a long-range rifle and so-far I'm happy with it. I have tried a couple rather inexpensive red dot sights and lasers on my range AR's and practice handguns and found some have problems over time.

I think a good rule for buying guns and scopes is: If it is for serious use, get the best you can afford.