View Single Post

Old 08-04-2013, 08:55 PM
US Veteran

Liked 8,689 Times in 2,312 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planer's Edge View Post
I recently acquired what I believe is a "vintage" model 40. It looks exactly like the pictures above.

How do I go about dating and valueing this handgun for insurance purposes?

I appears to be serial number #3199. This number is stamped into the gun in a couple of different locations...at the bottom of the butt of the grip...under side of the barrel when the cylinder is opened.

But, under the cylinder pivot is a different number stamped into the frame. This number is #3796 with a "W" above it and 1 "5" below it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

John
John sorry so late to get you an answer. The S/N on the grip butt face is always going to be the S/N. With 1 or 2 exceptions all S&W have the s/n there. Many have them in other places, Barrel flat when cylinder is open, Cylinder face, and under the extractor star. That one is hard to see. Also inside the crane where the Model # would also be stamped after 1957. Later on they stopped stamping everything but the Butt face. I believe sometime in the 1970s
The only 2 guns I can remember not having the s/n on the butt face is a .32 reg police pre war model. And the Bekearts also a .32 from the 1920s.
So what ever other numbers are on the gun.. the butt face is the place to start. If the barrel flat, cylinder face and extractor star have different numbers then the gun has been parted together and the value is diminished. The grips also have the s/n on the right panel. If the stocks, also called grips are not original it is usually not a big deal as long as they are period correct. Unless you are a serious collector.
To your gun..I don't have an exact date but it was shipped probably in 1953 or 1st part of 1954. "Probably" because these were often shipped out of order. But that is a good bet. Certainly not earlier but easily it could be later.

Mike
John 1:17
NRA Life Benefactor