View Single Post

Old 08-11-2013, 10:27 AM
Banned

Liked 1,089 Times in 543 Posts

After reading the several threads regarding blast shields, ultra light J frames, exotic metals, and factory warnings painted on guns that essentially warn that these premium metal, uber high cost snubbies are very much ammo dependent, and failure to RTFFM of arms will lead to damaging the gun, and perhaps permanently. Well, I trust and enjoy my J frames ever since I first carried one back in the 60's, and have never had issues with either the all steel or Airweight models, especially anything related to what seems to be the focus of these threads. While it is true that many semi-autos can be ammo dependent, the worst that can happen is you get a FTF, a stovepipe, or a FTE....either way, a simple diagnostic of the problem resulting in changing ammo is all it took to get your semi back up to speed; and no damage to the gun. I guess what I'm saying is that I would not spend the kind of money required to buy a lighter than air revolver knowing what I know now about these exotic metals and alloys. I only own one of these "esoteric" guns, and it's a 360 J .38 cal only, an oddball gun not even in the S&W catalog, with a stainless steel cylinder and scandium frame. It remains in my safe, unfired, blast shield and all. The other 360 J I had I sold....I'll keep the one in the safe as a curiosity piece, much like a circus freak, an oddity, but most certainly I will not use it as a carry piece knowing what I have learned so far from these threads. Before I spend near 4 figures for a J framed S&W, I'd rather buy a 642 and a 638, ILS and all, with money left over to buy quite a bit of ammo.