View Single Post

Old 08-13-2013, 08:54 PM

Liked 61 Times in 29 Posts
Default Story as much as the firearm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerguy53 View Post
Great thread!

I have several N-frame snubbies...these are some shots I happen to have on file of my .45ACP 625. (I can't recall the dash number, and I'm too lazy to go out to my safe and get it out to check it, LOL! It does have an MIM trigger and frame-mounted firing pin, but no internal lock.)

Interesting story about the grips...after buying this revolver and shooting it, I decided it was a keeper, and looked into having some nice grips made for it. I called Roy Fishpaw around the fall of 2000, and he put me on his waiting list. About eight months later, he wrote to me and told me to send him the 625 along with a description of what I wanted. I suggested instead I deliver it to him personally, and he consented.

I live in northeastern Maryland, and Mr. Fishpaw's home is in Lynchburg, Virginia. On a beautiful early summer morning in 2001, I saddled up my motorcycle, and rode to Lynchburg via Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. It was a glorious ride, and I got to Lynchburg late that night.

The next morning, I went to Mr. Fishpaw's home, and spent about an hour there with him. He measured my right hand, and asked what I was looking for, and what kind of grips I wanted. He showed me a photo album of grips he's made, and then had me select the wood for my grips from his stock. He was a real gentleman, and my visit with him was truly a delight.

(Leaving Lynchburg to head for home, I fulfilled a longtime goal: I rode to Red Hill, which is Patrick Henry's estate and final resting place near Lynchburg, and visited his grave to pay my respects and thank him for what he did for our country.)

In the fall of 2001, about 5 months after my visit, Mr. Fishpaw shipped my 625 back to me, with these beautiful French walnut grips installed. They are flawless, and perfectly fitted.

This particular 625 is a treat to shoot. It balances well, is very accurate, and has a great trigger. Someday my sons will bicker over who will get it, and be able to tell my grandchildren a neat story about it... :-)
Enjoy the story as much as the stocks and firearm. Thank you.