View Single Post

Old 08-23-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked 149 Times in 59 Posts

I appreciate the posts above with info regarding the time frame when S&W had its own ammo on the market. My only purchase of their brand was the 125-gr .38 Special Nyclad load designed for the Chief Special (& other snubbies). I thought S&W came up with a great idea there--not just to reduce indoor range lead pollution, but to increase velocity from the short barrels.

The original S&W bullet for this load was a truncated cone (SWC) shape, flat across the tip with a narrow hole. When Federal took over making Nyclads, the bullet was changed to a rounder shape, still flat at the tip but with a wider hole. My guess is that it would have better expansion.

What is the going rate for a box of those early S&W Chief Special loads? I know I have a partial box, & maybe a full onr or two around someplace. (The partial box is marked "Smith & Wesson Ammunition Company" and "A Bangor Punta Company" with the Rock Creek OH address.) I think a full box or other container of S&W ammo might be of interest to ammo/S&W collectors, if their brand hasn't been made since 1981.