View Single Post

Old 08-26-2013, 12:25 AM

Liked 1,595 Times in 888 Posts

I would be saddened to have only a binary choice between Magna's and late production Target's . ( I know this discussion is initially about N Frames , but I will also refrence K's .)( And yes I have XXL hands.)

In general I don't care for finger grooves , as they are dependent for your fingers to align to their grooves, and mine rarely do. The sole exception are the 1980s vintage factory Finger Groove Combat wood grips. In N frame they fit my fingers perfectly , and makes them my all time favorite factory grip. BTW , the K frame counterpart is all wrong for me.

The best fitting non-factory N frame grips I've used are a set of 1950's vintage Fitz "Combat" grips. Much thinner than Current Targets , only a little below grip frame , pronounced palm swells. I suspect these are at least somewhat similar to Cokebottles , but I haven't had the privledge to try an N frame set. These are comfortable , natural piointing , and good control.

In K frames I have had the opportunity to do extensive testing with Magnas & grip adapter , in parallel to Gripper Pro . The gripper has an overall feel similar to Speigels , the pointability is quite good , but they shift in the hand more than Speigels. From a K frame shooting .38Spl , still acceptable.

I did have a set of 1950's smooth Targets for K frame , and those were great. The only drawback is they weren'n designed for speedloader clearence. HKS could still be used , but had to carefully work them in , and simetimes wiggle a little. At the time I always carried at least one BUG , so on balance they were acceptable , and I didn't carve on vintages grips.

Back in the days when personally owned M19s andM66s were popular with uniformed and plainclothed LE , there was a set of highly common grip modifications. Grip shortened to just below the frame butt , aggressivly sanded down to thin the butt , and remove most of the sharp checkering. Imagine the blending of a set of lengthened Speigels and size Small Pac Presentations rendered in wood.