View Single Post

Old 08-26-2013, 10:12 PM

Liked 249 Times in 131 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE PAULY View Post
Bought the Power Rib Shooter's Pak Type 2 (reduced mainspring) item #17121. Comes with 13#, 14# and 15# rebound springs.

Installed the reduced power mainspring and 13# rebound spring into a S&W 686-8 and got about 50% FTF. Switched the 13# rebound spring with the 14# and same results.

I'm looking to get the smoothest & lightest trigger with 100 % reliablity. So, should I go back to the factory mainspring with the 13# rebound spring?

Or should I order the Wolff standard strenth Power Mainspring? Is the Wolff Power Mainspring in the standard strength any better than factory mainspring?

Thanks, Paul
I ran into this issue with Wolff springs and it pops up from time to time. Stainz told me how to fix it and I have 2 S&W revolvers with Wolff springs and they are 100% reliable now. The trigger return spring will help lighten the trigger pull but does not affect how hard the hammer hits the primer that is from the mainspring.
The problem with the Wolff spring is it has the rib that allows the stock strain screw to set down in the rib and doesn't allow enough tension with the stock strain screw. What I have done on my 617 and my 66 and I will do the same on my 686 as soon as it comes home is change out the stock strain screw for a grub screw. It doesn't have a head to stop it so you can adjust it further than the stock screw. You will have to put blue (not red) loctite on the screw and it will stay where you put it. If you screw it in until the screw is about flush with the recess for the strain screw to start. Now test fire your revolver with the ammo you will be using. If you get a failure to fire tighten the screw in 1/2 turn increments until it is 100% reliable. I will try to upload some pics so you can see what I am talking about. Hope this helps.
The Following User Likes This Post: