View Single Post

Old 08-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 413 Times in 165 Posts
Default What's your pleasure?

Which of these beauties would you choose to carry on a woods hike in an old flap holster? I realize two of them have the unpopular lock, so most will probably choose the blue Mod. 58 in .41 Magnum. But, let me hasten to say that I've never had a single problem with either of the locking versions! The stainless 625-8, Michulek, in .45 ACP is one of my better shooters. And, of course the nickel 21-4 in .44 Special is everyone's favorite cartridge! But, I think I would pick the .41 Mag. loaded down to around 800 FPS and carry 4 or 5 shells loaded hotter, just in case I ran across a deer or maybe some varmint at longer range. That cartridge has been very accurate for me in four or five different guns over the years! A 220 gr. RCBS cast bullet over about seven grains of Unique or Herco for plinking, and nine grains of the same powder for the heavier loading. I didn't choose the .45 ACP because of the inconvenience of the moon clips and the power level. The .44 Special would be hard to pass up, but it just can't do what the .41 mag. can! Besides, that nickel plated look just doesn't seem like a woods gun to me? What do you think!
Dick
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big bores!.jpg (55.3 KB, 386 views)

Last edited by Reddog; 08-31-2013 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Spelling
The Following 5 Users Like Post: