View Single Post

Old 08-31-2013, 08:46 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,744 Times in 2,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
All things being equal (condition, rarity, etc), how do police agency markings impact value?

Let's assume we're talking domestic agencies, nothing that's been re-imported.

I'm sure some famous agencies and/or special runs probably add value. But what about obscure or even indistinct departments, such as one I looked at the other day simply market "Airport P.D."??
You will get all sorts of opinions on this, but my thought is that, for me, unless it is an agency I am interested in, I prefer no markings.

As to individuals, unless it is someone of great significance, I am not interested in arms with the previous owner's name, initials, family crest, etc.

Naturally, if it is a gun related person such as Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan, Skeeter Skelton, or one of a precious few others; or, another well known person, such as J. Edgar Hoover, Clyde Tolson, John F. Kennedy, John Wayne, or a handful of others, I will make an exception to the normal rule - as would most of us.

Basically, if YOU like it, then go for it, but markings will always be used by a potential buyer (whether they secretly like the markings or not) to argue that "no one will want it," therefore, the value on trade is lower or whatever.
The Following User Likes This Post: