View Single Post

Old 09-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Liked 950 Times in 189 Posts

In 1992, the U.S. Customs Service was looking for an immediate replacement for the troubled CS-1, and the DA/SA 6906. The Customs Service had a long standing relationship with S&W, so the request went out for a striker-fired 9mm pistol that could be rapidly transitioned to the field to replace the CS-1.

S&W responded with the Sigma. The compact version was to be issued to Special Agents and Air/Marine Interdiction Officers, while the full size was to go to uniformed Inspectors. The contract was for approximately 5,000 pistols.

The first 500 pistols arrived at the U.S. Customs Firearms and Training Branch in Ft. Benning, GA. The guns were immediately sent to the range for initial testing with duty ammunition, before they were to be sent to the field. Of the first 500 pistols tested, there was over 50% failed the reliability test with duty ammunition.

S&W sent engineers to Ft. Benning to address the problem. A satisfactory solution could not be found, so U.S. Customs returned the 500 Sigma's, and cancelled the contract. The Commissioner at the time was Ray Kelly. Mr. Kelly had been (and is again today) the Commissioner of the N.Y.P.D., and had overseen the N.Y.P.D. transition to the Glock 17/19. Mr. Kelly called Glock, and Glock 17's and 19's started flowing to the field.

I have carried a Glock since 1986, when I purchased the 137th Glock 17 to come into the country (verified by Glock.) I still have that original pistol, and several more Glocks in various calibers, the pistol just works! However, since 2006, I have been carrying various models and calibers of M&P's. I like my Glocks, but I still wish the M&P would have been on the shelf in 1992. I absolutely LOVE the M&P!

IMHO as a law enforcement firearms instructor for 33 years, the Glock is a superior pistol to ANY version of the Sigma!
The Following 2 Users Like Post: