View Single Post

Old 09-11-2013, 10:30 PM

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooboy View Post
Installation video shows using red Loctite. Loctite becomes hard by a chemical reaction with certain metals, usually certain steels and some non-ferrous metals. I don't think there's a reaction to aluminium or to anything treated with black oxide, so I'm guessing that you removed some of the finish from the end of the barrel to get the Loctite and steel to react ? Loctite does make a primer, available in lipstick form, that will start the reaction necessary. Also, if you Loctite this on, you aren't going to be able to check your barrel nut or remove the nut with this in place. Takes 450 degrees F to melt Loctite. Sorry, just asking as I live in New York and would like to have one of these..... Shoo
I didn't watch the video, but usually Loctite is used to "glue" the threads on the screw to the threads in the hole to keep the screw from backing out due to vibration; it isn't meant to "glue" the end of the set screw to the barrel or the flash suppressor to the barrel. That said, I did use a file to make a small flat spot on the barrel to give the set screw more bite and prevent rotation.

Also, I'm pretty sure the barrel wrench (sold by Plinker22?) is designed to be large enough to fit over a flash suppressor so that you don't need to remove it when tightening/loosening the barrel nut.

Hope this helps!

-Ruskie