View Single Post

Old 09-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

A friend wanted one about 15 years ago. So I went along with him to buy it. It was a private sale. The seller warned him that it was a jam-0-matic, but he'd been looking for one a long time and couldn't be persuaded not to buy it. We had some fun shooting it. For the longest time the gun had never, even once, managed to go through a full magazine without a problem.

So one day I was flush with cash and just bought a box of every brand/style 22 mag i could find. Yes, that was in the last century and it was cheaper then. We went shooting. And the game was to fire ammo until the gun jammed. Then we'd put that box away and move to the next. It didn't take long to put each box away. Then we tried a box of Winchesters. I forget the load, but it ran all the way through the box with only one jam, and that was 3 or 4 magazines down! So we tried the rest of them and those jammed, too. So we put our shooting stuff in the car and instead of driving home, we went to the dealer where I'd bought the ammo. He had more so my buddy bought it all! Then he gave me 2 boxes to pay back for the stuff we'd fired.

The gun was loud, wait, LOUD. Caps tells it better. Every 22 mag I've ever fired is loud. Right now I only own one, a 351 PD and its a great little gun, but it makes its noise, too. Its an ideal CCW gun, complete with laser. If you shoot anyone, or shoot at them, neither of you will hear for a while. If you hit the gun or kill him, you don't need advice to not talk to anyone, including the police. You won't hear their questions. You can see their lips move, but you'll be deaf for a few days, anyhow. The automag has a longer barrel, but semi-autos sometimes are even louder than shorties.

It now costs about $15 a box of 50 rounds. You get rimfire performance at centerfire prices. I used to be a little shocked at paying $3 a box for the stuff. Now its 5 times as expensive. You can't call it bargain shooting. But then you're the guy buying the gun, and you know how rich you really are.