View Single Post

Old 09-22-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked 3,961 Times in 1,871 Posts
Default It's been a while.

It's been a while since I've poked around this forum. I've sold off my 15-22 and my M&P 9fs pistol is on consignment sale. The one and only S&W I have left is my 15-Sport. I've been tempted to sell it, but the Thompson Center 1:8 5R progressive gain twist Melonite treated heavy barrel is too darn good to let go.

It's been through some different changes. I've had carbine length drop in quad rails on it, Magpul furniture, bi-pod, flashlights, vertical grips, magpul sights, primary arms dot & magnifier, lightened trigger springs, polished combat triggers, etc... At one point it had every tacticool doo-dad on it and it became a pig of an AR.

I last settled on a basic setup to keep the 15-Sport lightweight. The original narrow diameter, no heat shield, handguard was back on. Most of the tacticool doo-dads came off.

I liked the return to a lightweight rifle. I prefer to shoot iron sights. What I didn't like was the lack of a heat shield on the handguard and the limited top rail space. With a Troy rear folding sight deployed, there was not enough rail space to mount a dot I had laying around. I got tired of the A2 front sight in the sight picture for those times I used a dot. I reconfigured the 15-Sport again.

• Troy folding front battlesight
  • Troy folding rear battlesight
  • Troy 15" Alpha Rail
  • Troy Squid Grip rail inserts
  • YHM low profile gas block
  • Magpul MIAD grip with three emergency round grip insert.
  • Magpul MOE stock
  • Magpul MOE extended butt pad
  • Magpul B.A.D. lever
  • AR-Restor Hydraulic Buffer
  • RRA 2-Stage Varmint Trigger
  • BCM charging handle

The Troy Alpha rail has a small diameter which gives me a similar feel to the circumference of the stock 15-Sport handguards that I like. I have a longer iron sight radius. I'm going to change out the Bushnell Trophy "T" Dot for something smaller. The size and weight of it is annoying me to no end. I also prefer a simple 2-point sling set up. With the A2 front sight base gone, I'll have to figure out a new sling set up.

My 15-Sport is close to being done.