View Single Post

Old 09-23-2013, 12:48 PM

Liked 6,813 Times in 2,543 Posts

The latest info we have got is that we are good until the 15th of October. After that, there may be furloughs. Who gets furloughed depends on your job and how well your agency is managed.

If employees are furloughed or laid off, there would be a delay in sending out checks. So far, we have not had to take furloughs or lay anyone off in my agency. BUT, we are now at 10 staff members when we used to have about 20. We have NO overtime (not that I get any at my pay grade, anyways), even "comp" time. Travel budget is non-existent as is most of our training budget. I already have resigned as a Supervisor due to workload issues in our office, so I could do more biology. We just transferred a student worker who was transitioning to full time under a special program from 200 miles away because we couldn't hire an admin person. The biologists are doing more and more admin stuff and this delays project approvals, such as reviews of major water projects, timber sales, etc.

One impact that could be felt is no waterfowl season on the refuges or hunting in national forests due to layoffs and furloughs. National parks would be closed, no timber sales, renewing grazing leases, no cutting Christmas trees, etc.