View Single Post

Old 09-25-2013, 11:56 PM

Liked 1,035 Times in 484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod150 View Post
TusconMTB, apparently you prefer titamium cylinders. What's the advantage over carbon steel or stainless-- lighter weight? If so, how much lighter?
Yes, the original thought was to lighten an Airweight pocket gun to be more like an AirLite. Just replacing the original stainless cylinder with a Titanium spare part drops the weight of the revolver by about 3 ounces.

The first victim was a used 638-3, subsequently adopted by my wife and pictured above.

That gave me a good excuse to buy a used 642-1. Both came from local, private sellers and were reasonable bargains.

So far, we have only fired standard pressure rounds with either 125 grain or 130 grain bullets, so recoil is mild, even with such a light pistol.

My wife has a huge stainless steel Taurus Tracker in 22LR that she enjoys using to obliterate bullseyes one tiny round at a time. I am a total revolver newbie, but am fast acquiring real affection for these wonderful J-frames.

It doesn't hurt that both Titanium cylinders came finished in a black color on the front and rear. Cleaning the black firing rings off of stainless cylinders is not high on my list of favorite things.

But, mostly I love the way it just disappears in your pocket. The last pistol I had that did that was a NOT much fun to shoot .380 semi-automatic from Kel-Tec. These J-frames are only a couple of ounces heavier but a "hoot to shoot".

Thanks for asking! I can babble on about these little puppies for hours. Just ask my wife.
The Following 8 Users Like Post: