View Single Post

Old 09-27-2013, 10:06 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 6,285 Times in 910 Posts

Quote:
I side with those who avoid the word "transitional" for the postwar long-action M&Ps. The only thing that distinguishes them from the prewar 1905/fourths is the improved hammer safety block that grew out of a military demand. It was an evolutionary wartime design change and doesn't constitute a change that warrants a "transitional" label. The postwar N-frame target revolvers do deserve the transitional label, because they had new micro sights and ribbed barrels mated to the old prewar actions. Guns like that are true 'tweeners.

And yes, the only guns that should be designated as Pre-10 models are the short-action guns that started appearing in the spring of 1948. They have serial numbers above S989000 or thereabouts; all non-model-marked M&Ps in the C-prefix series can be called Pre-10s, and the last roughly 11000-12000 guns in the S prefix K-frames can be considered pre-10s as well. All other M&Ps are neither transitional nor Pre-10s. (Or so say I, knowing full well that others are comfortable stating contrary positions. )
Thanks much for the lesson in S&W history. I continue to learn details of these wonderful pieces of Americana. This board is a great source of information, and I appreciate everyone's comments. I just hope to have something of value to contribute to the discussion.