Thread: S&W Model 64
View Single Post

Old 09-29-2013, 04:03 PM

Liked 6,288 Times in 2,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullthrottle View Post
This may be heading towards a caliber debate, but I've spoken to a handful of people that own revolvers, including a couple gunsmiths, and I'm hearing different things.

Some say the .38 is just fine for defense, but others say I'd need a .357 if I'm serious about it. One even hinted a .38 special was basically useless as a defensive round and too weak to cause any damage to a person if first shot through glass.

So in other words, I'm trying to get as much info as possible. Thanks for the replies
Do you own thinking. The folks who are offering you the above advice appear to be repeating what they've read in the latest magazine. The focus of such publications is normally on the most extreme sort of incident that can possibly be imagined. That makes sense. It sells magazines. Merely thoughtful fact based informing of the reading public is not glamorous. It is not a good selling strategy.

There is nothing magic in any handgun round. None of them are powerfully enough to actually shock a man in the same way a high-powered rifle can at time make a game animal like a deer, etc. come "unglued." Good hits with any decent handgun caliber will give good results in a HD incident. Marginal hits will produce poor results.